Friday, May 25, 2007

MORE TALES FROM THE NURSING HOME

As I've mentioned before, most of the work done here is by CNAs or Certified Nursing Assistants. Sometimes I wonder how they ever got certified. I have one today, who I've had several times before. It's a wonder she finds her way to work. This CNA doesn't know how to open a catheter bag to empty it. Then she stares at the urinal as if it was digital and is going to show her the amount in it. She comes to me saying she's going to take my temperature and can I put it under my tongue. I'm so tempted to tell her I could put it somewhere else too. She doesn't know how to do blood pressures. It takes her three tries to get mine. By then my arm is sore. Then she TELLS me that she is going to check my breathing. Anyone who knows me will know what happens next. I hold my breath while she tries to count how many times a breathe a minute. She also had to document how much fluid I take in, so she will ask what I've had to drink. Now we get our teas in clear glasses with no measurements on the side, but she will stare at the glass trying to figure out how much it holds. Oh, and she comes in my room in the mornings, seeing me and denise eating and ask if we are done. THEN, later she will come back and by then we have pushed the table aside and working on the computer and she asks if we are done. DUH

This one CNA had two residents who wanted up at the same time and she was no where to be found. Several times that day, the head nurse had to page her to the desk because no one could find her.

And this is the kind of people that are here to take care of us. God help us!!!!

No comments: